Was talking with Joyce the other day and we talked about how there’s no real Web Ops conference out there currently. The closest is possibly MySQL Conference or maybe the PHP conferences, where ops/sysadmin types will go and attend the few talks about infrastructure topics, but the main audience seems to be developers.
I could count Usenix or LISA as “web ops” conferences, but quite frankly most of the sessions are presented by academics or university types, and the amount of real-world web ops experience isn’t all that high.
So, people who make conferences: listen up.
I think that there are lots of sysadmins and ops people who would go to a conference solely about web operations. Here’s my good stab at topics:
- – Dev/Ops cooperation: Why It’s Good and What It Means
- – Databases: Hardware Performance Differences
- – AutoInstallation of Clusters
- – Advanced Load Balancer Fu
- – Performance Metrics: Tying Server Stats to User Behavior
- – API Abuse/Management Tools